so much for my 19 eggs waiting to hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tinahoak, Jun 23, 2010.

1. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    ugh , I want to scream! I HAD 19 eggs just about ready to hatch under a broodie hen. Lately , everytime she'd go out to get a drink and releave herself one of my other cochin hens would steal her nest box. They both hopped in there last night fighting over the box and CRUSHED .... yes crushed , all but 1 loney egg. [​IMG] The poor babies inside ended up not making it as they weren't ready yet. I've never had this happen before and I have hatched out eggs under a broodie the last 2 years. Sad lesson learned at the expense of the babies. Hope someone else learns from my mistake. Next time ( if I let there be a next time) I will totally seperate my broodie from the rest of the flock. So sorry little babies........... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    wow [​IMG] so sorry about that great loss [​IMG] its very tough to see that
    happen i had the same thing happen here but i lost only one [​IMG]
    cant imagine how tough for you to lose 18 of them, i learned.. i got a bator
    and do it inside just to be super sure they are safe..again im sorry [​IMG]

3. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    I liked using a broodie as I really enjoy watchin' momma take care of her wee ones...nothing like seeing them all snug, tucked under her wing...little heads poking out at me . Just the way nature intended....

4. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    yes very true its great to see that..guess im just to paranoid to let them try [​IMG]
    who knows time will tell for me if ilet them..many topics like this just freak me out..

5. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope nothing happens to the last one. [​IMG]

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss, that is to bad you lost 18 chicks. I have 2 broody hens right now hope I get chicks. Good luck on the remaining egg.

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    [​IMG] I am sorry to hear about your loss, In farming chickens i have learned that its the things we least expect to happen that do. (first set of birds i got i was on a good climb to my farm with no deaths and healthy baby chicks. I let them out to free range they laughed played and had a blast till they were tired. I was doing some yard work and building for them. layed my shovel down on the ground and set one of my chicken ramps up against the side of the barn. Storm blew in knocked over the board which decided to fall straight at the chick who thought my shovel was a neck rest. I will leave the rest unspoken.
    All we can do is try to learn from our mistkaes and not let it happen a next time. Once shame on you, Twice shame on me!!! Good luck and hope that little one is the best chick you ever had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by