so much for peppers this year........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Mar 1, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I planted 10 jalapeno plants in a flower bed in front of our coop a few weeks ago and they have started to grow peppers. So exciting! I've been letting the chickens out of the run when I'm working outside in the afternoons and they haven't even noticed the plants...today I walked in the house for 5 minutes, came back out, pepper plants are gone!! I have green stems sticking out of the ground [​IMG] I'm so mad. No more free ranging for them. turds.

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

Crazy chickies

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Mine done the same to my tomatoes. I had peck marks in almost all of the tomatoes. We just picked them and cut around their peck marks.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Its funny though. I have a raised garden they don't even touch. I may get more pepper plants and grow them in there. hopefully these will come back...[​IMG]

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    It's pretty much a given that chickens will destroy plants. You'll have to find a way to fence your garden(s) off if you want to free range them. Personally, I'd fence my stuff off and have happy chickens rather than leaving them in a coop and run all the time. Doesn't seem very fair to keep them locked up when they were doing what comes natural to them.

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    They are in the coop and run most of the day anyway. the run is pretty big.....

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I take the goodies to them... and make it impossible for them to get into my garden. They free range on the east side of the house and the garden is on the south=west side.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:This is exactly what I do. And at the end of the growing season, I open up the fence to let the chooks in. They happily till and fertilize it for me so it'll be all ready for Spring planting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: