1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So much going on LoL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by confusedturtle, Oct 4, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    So much has happened since my last post. My chickens have gotten very big my 2 Red sex links hens are 5 months 1 week old the rooster is the same age, my BO mix is 5 1/2 months old, the BSL is 4 1/2 months old and the GSL is 4 months and 1 week old. My Rooster started crowing almost 2 weeks ago. He was a pretty quiet crower and only did it (at first) around 6:45 and only 4 times. The only way to hear him was to be awake and have the windows open. After a few days he started doing it twice a day at 6 and 6:45 am. After a week it was 5, 5:45, 6, 6:45. He was still not loud but now that it is cooler and time to open windows I was afraid we'd get caught so I had to rehome him. I got ahold of a woman who raises and loves her chickens very much. She has a ton of chickens and land for them to range on and takes awesome care of them. She agreed to take him and as soon as she saw him she was in love. That was yesterday. Today I put the dogs out and heard some crazy commotion coming from the coop. Convinced the dogs had gotten in I ran out to see what was going on. They were upset but fine, the dogs were on the other side of the yard. I decided to clean the coop & feed them as usual and here is what I found
    [​IMG]
    Our first egg! [​IMG] I was so proud, it felt like they were never going to start laying eggs. Im so proud of my girls! Im pretty sure it was my BO mix, her waddle has been super red for over a month. My RSL's just turned red the last week or two, so they should be soon to follow. How exciting! Their 'bawking" was letting me know they laid it. When I discovered it, it was still warm so they just did it. Im so happy [​IMG]

2. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    That's AWESOME!I so love getting that "first"egg![​IMG]
    My 2 bantam Araucanas laid their first blue eggs last week and one of my seramas and a Bantam modern game did on Sunday!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    This makes me [​IMG] want to get another hen [​IMG] but hubby would be so mad. Before deploying he said no new family members, then 2 weeks later I told him I was pregnant [​IMG] so he said no new ones after the baby. But I did just rehome my rooster....maybe I can get one that lays blue eggs [​IMG]

4. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Congrats on your baby![​IMG]

It's only fair -since you did get rid of the rooster [​IMG]
    What's one more hen?lol

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Congrats on both the egg and the baby! How exciting! [​IMG]

6. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    yeah! congrats!!! how very exciting!!!! enjoy your first egg [​IMG]

7. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Yeah! Egg![​IMG]

8. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Thank you so much for the congrats. I guess we're rollin now, I got another one first thing this morning that Im pretty sure was laid yesterday and my BO mix is very cautious to leave the run when I try to range them so Im thinking I may get one today too. I open the flap hubby made me so the side of the coop is open and then open the run door so they have 2 ways in while Im cleaning & such, but the BO mix is hesitant to leave the run and when she does she stays very close by. 3 of my girls have very red combs & wattles, Yay! I will take a pic in the coop of the next one, hadn't thought to take one of the other two in there.

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    It looks big for first egg. The first few eggs from my birds were always smaller than the eventual full size.

10. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Beautiful! I have 4 hens, and my first 2 eggs came 2 days ago.

You answered a question I have had in my mind. One of my girl's had a comb paler than all the others. This week, it is RED! Prudy must be my egg-layer. I think also Penny, my other Rhode Island Red because she had become as affectionate as a dog and squats when I pet her. (I can't pet the other 3 unless they are roosting for the night.)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by