So much is happening at once!! :D My new chicks *PIC HEAVY*

Why didn't you separate your broodies from the rest of your flock, especially since you know the hen has been killing chicks? My hens brood in a bird cage, but I've used 5 gallon buckets, dog crates, cat carriers and all other sorts of things. Find a large cardboard box, flip it on its side and put some chicken wire over the opening. Its your job to keep them safe, the chicken is just doing what some chickens do. Good luck, I hope you get it all sorted out.
Nikki

Really sorry to hear about the loss.
I say instruct the hen about the circle of life.

You eat whatever you like, then I eat whatever I like.
Welcome to the circle Hen, the circular lid on a pot of chicken soup.

Really sorry to hear about the loss.
I say instruct the hen about the circle of life.

You eat whatever you like, then I eat whatever I like.
Welcome to the circle Hen, the circular lid on a pot of chicken soup.
Thanks. I guess I learned about the circle the hard way but this has just opened my eyes and now i know that however sweet my chicken might be she will always have those instincts and other things that make her a danger to chicks and eggs!

Why didn't you separate your broodies from the rest of your flock, especially since you know the hen has been killing chicks? My hens brood in a bird cage, but I've used 5 gallon buckets, dog crates, cat carriers and all other sorts of things. Find a large cardboard box, flip it on its side and put some chicken wire over the opening. Its your job to keep them safe, the chicken is just doing what some chickens do. Good luck, I hope you get it all sorted out.
Nikki
Thanks, I guess I was mad at my self for most of the time and not the hen! I have the broody in a separate place where a wall and a door separate her from the hens! I left the door open for a small time while they were feeding and that hen already knows that what she likes to eat is in there so she took the opportunity while I was not paying attention like i should have! But from now on I'll pay extra precautions to make sure this never happens again! Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom