So much wasted food!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by iPeanut1990, Oct 20, 2014.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Yes, that is a huge pile of food at my feet that they have wasted. I didn't realize it was that bad. That's a lot of food. I'm so frustrated. I'm going to buy a bigger feeder so it's heavier. Hopefully that way they won't knock it over as easily. I am also switching back to crumbles. They were never this messy while on the crumbles. I don't know if that will fix it but I might as well try. I'm also gonna try to figure out how to hang it. I'm worried about the wind swinging the feeder around which would not solve the problem.we get random wind gusts here. We're starting to get mice so I raked up as much as I could otherwise I know they would have eventually started to eat what they spilled.

2. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    The only difference between crumbles and pellets is that crumbles degrade and disappear faster. It's not that they weren't messy, it's that the mess wasn't as visible.

Make a feeder that they can't knock over, and they can't get their feet in. I'm partial to the PVC ones on here.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yep! I have PVC pipe feeders both in my coop and run...love them!!! Cheap and super easy to make, too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I still have to "straighten out" that center tube..aack!)

4. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I need to make this work for my coop!

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I used 3" PVC pipes (8-footers), cut them in half. Then attached a 90-degree at the bottom, then attached a "street 45" to the bottom end. Put a cap on it for the tops and called it good. I have never regretted making them. One thing though....don't glue the pieces together! Just hand-tighten together.This way you could, if you have to, take them apart for heavy cleaning, etc.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Try this link - works great - I have never have dropped food - this is the link I followed.

here is mine;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  7. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Wow! That looks like a much better option!

8. Fancypants1

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Yes - it works great and more importantly cheap to make. If you don't have a cat or cat litter tub just pick up a bucket with a lid at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Took us 10 minutes to make. Place it on cinder blocks and they will not be able to knock it over.

Good luck and keep me posted!!

9. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

How did you drill the hole?

10. Fancypants1

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    We used a reciprocating saw for both the hole in the cat litter bucket and to trim down the PVC pipe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by