So, my blue-legged Golden Penciled Hamburg has pink toes. PICS

playingchicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
With the help of this site, this newbie hatched 2 Golden penciled Hamburgs (out of 8 ebay eggs) on July 3.

The cockerel is starting to get green tailfeathers and will probably be pretty enough, but his pink toes bother me.

Does anyone know if this is a fault? I don't have the standard of perfection for the breed (seemed overkill to get it for two chickens at this point:p) but I don't want to breed him to the lone hen that I have or any future hens I plan to hatch (from a good breeder this time). These little guys seem kind of a waste for a meat bird as they are 5 pounds tops live weight.

I will try to get some pictures of his feet, but I didn't have anyone out there but the kids. The very tips of his toes are pink.

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

SHort video, for fun, of the two.

Thanks so much. I don't post a lot here, but I read something every day!
smile.png

I looked in the APA standards book. It says disqualification is shanks other then leaden blue.
The standard states:
"shanks and toes: leaden blue, bottoms of feet pinkish white."

So is the pink on your roo the bottoms of his feet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I think I can probably handle 16.00!
lol.png

Unfortunately for him, his toes (just the tips) are pink.

Let your cockerel mature a little longer. I bet the toes will turn slate. It happens alot with slate legged birds. They will hatch out with the tips of the toes pink and 98 % of them will turn the correct color by the time the bird is mature enough to show.

Thank you Jean and NYREDS! He is still pretty young. Hopefully he will darken up in the toes in a few months.

Otherwise, DH and I are really enjoying watching this breed. They seem more like a wild bird than a regular chicken!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom