So my chicks are out in the coop.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Angelicsatire, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Angelicsatire

Angelicsatire In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2019
    And they won't go out of the coop at all! I didn't want to scare them out, i've been keeping food and water in there for them. Should i remove it so they go out to the yard to get food?

2. I guess we need more information. Do you mean yard or run? Are these your only chickens? Pictures would help.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old are they and how long have they been outside?

4. LizzzyJo

LizzzyJo Songster

Dec 14, 2018
    Northwest Ohio
    How long have they been in there?

5. Angelicsatire

Angelicsatire In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2019
    They have been in there for approximately a week, I've left the door open during the day for them to come out. they are about 8 weeks old now and seem fine and happy but just won't go outside.

They are the only chickens out there, this is my first year with chickens.

6. LizzzyJo

LizzzyJo Songster

Dec 14, 2018
    Northwest Ohio
    In this case, I would put their food and water outside during the day. I'm assuming they have a safe run? Show them how to get up and down the ramp, if there is one, and show them where you're putting their food and water. Then, just wait.

Also - tasty treats like grapes and mealworms can be a good lure.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds like they are fine and comfortable where they are, but if you want them outside
    I agree with @LizzzyJo take food/water outside. It would be a good idea to just take a seat somewhere in the run and talk to them, encouraging them to come out. No touching, just talk. Show them the food/water.
    IF they won't venture out, then put the food/water back where they can access it in the coop and try again later.

8. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I put my my coop brooder away 2 weeks ago and my chicks hardly go out in the run. I have food and water in both areas. The big girls are in the run mostly, this is part of the reason, but in time they will go out more, I don't worry about it.

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  9. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    I kept mine in the brooder during outside acclimation at night, and brought them outside during the day for a few weeks before letting them out. Then did as the others suggested above. Mine got the clue the first couple of days, but then came teaching them to go in at night :p

10. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    My chicks (and still as chickens) run to me so I never had a problem with them not going with me. I would introduce the run to them and the ramp. They may need some assistance to see what to do with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: