So, My Dog Won't Let Our Rooster Mate

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by deb1, Sep 9, 2009.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    This is more funny then troubling. [​IMG]

Whenever Hagrid, our rooster, tries to mount the hens, our dog charges him. She, our dog, also charges him, if he tries to bully our hens. The other day, a hen was dust bathing and for whatever reason, Hagrid decided to stand on her. The hen squawked and Keiba(the dog) rushed him off of her.

I think that our dog sees the hens as her own personal poop machines. [​IMG] She can't let anything interfere with the magical creatures who supply her with such yummy treats. [​IMG]

Keiba likes to follow the hens. She doesn't hurt them, just follows them, waiting for...treats.

I don't suppose that I will get fertilized eggs anytime soon though.[​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Lol! My german shepherd eats chicken food and my Maltese poodle/ pom mix eats the yucky..treats!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Bella gets mad at the roos when they do this too, I think she feels they are hurting them and it worries her. She herds them away! Good Heeler!

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I had one of my roosters mounting my ducks, until my Sebbie geese step in and put an end to that. Now the roosters are trying to mount the hens and the Sebbies don't like that either!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by