So my EE has been broody for almost 8 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly FG, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    I've tried breaking her, it hasn't worked. She's skinny & nutty as heck. She's sitting on an empty nest & we don't have a rooster.
    What's the longest broody you've ever had?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    buy some hatching eggs and let her hatch? lol, she wants to be a mommy!

I have roosters, so any of mine that go broody are actually able to hatch out babies. I've never tried to stop them.

How is she doing now?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I had a marans hen that was broody almost all summer. No matter what I did she wouldn't quit either.

4. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    penny finaly broke her brood about two weeks ago. I think she was broody since the last week in July. She went into a crazy moult & she looks a mess now, she's so skinny too.
    It will be cold here soon & I didn't want to have babies in the winter, first girl to go broody next Spring is getting some eggs!!!!

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Good news! Hope she gets her feathers back soon, it's gonna be a chilly one! [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I found what you said about her molt interesting. My marans that wanted to be broody all summer also has recently went into her molt and she went from looking normally feathered to looking like someone almost totally plucked her over a period of about three days!! She looked horrible! Her feathers are now growing back in and she's looking better...finally! I suppose they just taxed their system too far by trying to set that long.

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Read that Avia Charge 2000 from McMurray can help bring feathers back, I was researching it due to lack of eggs all of a sudden...you may want to try it...

8. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    good idea on the aviacharge, I have it. I'll start using it again.

9. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Where did you get it from wondering if McMurray is the only one to carry it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by