1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

So... My faith in the internet has just been destroyed.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sylviethecochin, Feb 19, 2018.

1. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    So I was looking for some good Punnett Squares to explain splash and black co-dominance.

[​IMG]
    "Speckled"

[​IMG]
    "Checkered"

[​IMG]

"Black and White feathered"

[​IMG]
    I suppose you can at least say that these guys didn't just copy others on the internet, like all of the above. Instead, they did some original research--and got it wronger.

And Finally:
    [​IMG]
    Where did they even get that?!

Okay, this is why my mother never let me use internet sources for papers. I have sympathy now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    CapricornFarm and BantyChooks like this.
  2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Thank you for the link, but I like the stock photos I found, and I'll be keeping them instead. (They're really cheap-looking doodles. But I still like 'em.)

It's a question that comes up on here pretty often, and I wanted some illustrations of splash and black and maybe some actual photos. Instead, I was traumatised.

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Wouldn't what you be looking for in what the hatcheries are breeding for what they are calling Austra Whites, where they took a Black Australorp rooster over a White Leghorn hen? The result came out as White with some black spots in them.

drumstick diva and CapricornFarm like this.
  5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    The "speckled" and "checkered" chickens are barred. That's a sex-linked gene and the hybrid layer industry is practically built on it.

Hens have two different sex chromosomes--one "z," one "w" (zw.) Roosters have two "w" sex chromosomes (ww.) When a hen procreates, she determines the sex of the chicks. The rooster has to pass on a "W" chromosome, you see. She can pass on a "w" or a "z." If she passes on a z, the chick is female (zw) if she passes on a "w" the chick is male (ww.)

The barring gene is contained on the "w" chromosome. If the rooster doesn't have it, he can't pass it. If the hen has it, she can only pass it to her male offspring. All of the boy chicks will be barred, all of the girl chicks will be non-barred.

What you're seeing is a color called "dominant white" in action. Dominant white hides nearly every other color. Leghorns are dominant white (as opposed to silver (some brahmas) or recessive white (silkies)). It obscures the black inherited from the Australorp, but there's occasional leakage, hence the black feathers.

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Ok, I know that many colors have leakage in them, and that another color can also be hiding under the white.

7. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    I need me some of them 'checkered' chickens. :rolleyes:

8. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I'd prefer the "homozygous red" in the last slide.

CapricornFarm and BantyChooks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: