So my friend wants to give me his chickens, what to do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thehbcrew, Sep 23, 2011.

1. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    I have 6 20 week old pullets at the moment, one just started to lay. My friend has 4 hens he's trying to get rid of that are about 2 years old. My run is 144sqft so i know thats big enough but my small A frame coop is only about 4'X5'. Do you think 10 chickens would get along in a coop that small?? seems kind of tight already... I know they would sleep fine when i put in another roost, but walk around space is limited.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Can you put together a second coop of nearly the same size? Maybe out of pallets or something? I too would be hard-pressed to pass up free chickens...

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    it does sound a bit tight, and could cause issues- can you expand the coop at all? Or as was suggested by BigDaddysGurl build a second one?

4. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    Sounds like i could take his coop, its just a DIY pallet one, if i can take it apart easily and put it in, i think i'm going to do it.

If i take them the first night should i put them in my coop so they co-mingle in the AM? then the next day hopefully they will go in their old coop?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would want to quarantine them, or at the very least not let them co-mingle. The hens are liable to injure the babies because of size difference etc.

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I've read that a lot of people will put wire up so the chickens can see each other and adjust, but can't go after each other. Good luck!

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you have a chick laying you have a very strange chick. Over developed for sure. I was going to say take his layers, eat the ones of your's not laying but I doubt they're large enough to get much in the way of meat. I don't think I would ever pass up free layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by