So my hen is attacking my cockerel and my duck keeps chasing my hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by purplesquirrel, Mar 24, 2015.

1. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Everyone is twitterpated here down in the south west of England.
    My cockerel is happily mating with all his hens, except one, Pandora the crazy Leghorn.

She would allow (squat) a mating every week or so if I was lucky (I sell hatching eggs and incubate my own) but in the last 4 days, she has begun to attack my cockerel.
    At first he sort've just ran away out of surprise, but then he came back with vengeance, and probably feeling the pressure of being watched by the other ladies, and now they just fight every now and then, maybe once a day?
    Her face was bleeding yesterday and she is running around by herself squawking randomly and beating her wings together like a cockerel does before he crows.

She tried to be broody a couple days ago, she sat for two days on some eggs, but then left them for a good hour once a day, so not very dedicated. I think she's too unhinged to be a good mother....

AND NOW my Muscovy male is frustrated because his only lady is running away and not allowing him to service her, and so he's going after one of my hens. I have no idea why he likes her so much but he does, he really really does. He grabs a hold of her tail and she squawks like crazy and tries to run away and he just follows her around, holding onto her tail until she's panting and out of breathing and then when she stops running, he let's go.

Is he endanger of forcing himself onto her? Can he kill her? I think she forgets she can fly up onto the out door roosts, which are way too high for his huge, chunky body.

Anyway, right now it feels like I am the proud owner of some sort of backwards farm circus.

Roll up! Roll up!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes he is endangering your hen, and yes he could kill her.

Sounds like you other hen is having some hormonal issues.

3. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Yeh she really is having some hormone issues. She makes strange noises. She clucks agitatedly whilst she is pecking at the grass, she acts so agitated, she'll get herself in a 'flap' and almost to the point of breaking out into real ''PUK KARRK!'' - hen ultimate danger noise ('or something has just fallen off the washing line' - noise)
    She seems very upset and wonders around by herself clucking irritatedly, and now today whenever she tried to join the other ladies in the flock around the garden, my cockerel attacks her and chases her away, as if to guard his other hens from the mental one.

I spent 3 hours making a pen and a nice waterproof nest box for her yesterday, complete with water drinker and feed bowl and a good area to stretch/have a poop, and now she's not sitting at all - not laying either!
    She's only about 1.5 years old and it seems she's having a middle aged crisis.
    When do leghorns stop laying?

4. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Charlie - my male Muscovy was grabbing for my hen (another hen) again today, he's semi tame so when he strolled past me to get to her I slapped him in the face and he looked quite surprised.
    There is a 6 foot perch and 2 animals houses in my run for her to flew up onto the get away.

He's only just started mating and he still has no idea what he's doing, it's just an embarrassment to watch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by