So my husband made me a bator!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blessedchickenmama7, Dec 21, 2009.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    He had a cooler/heater in his truck with a glass door in it. Holds about 12/15 sodas. It stopped working and was sitting in our garage. I've been eyeing Miss Prissy's threads about creating bators from coolers, bread boxes, etc. So I showed them to him and he got to work. I am so proud of it. We still have to pull out the PC fan tomorrow and get it in there, then do the big test. Oh, and get the batteries for the temp/humidity thingy, hygrometer I think it is.

Anyway, we are strapped for cash right now, and we have been able to do this for about $35. And I am pleased as punch with it and my husband! Will try and post pics tomorrow when the fan is in. Then we get down to getting everything set. What fun! And after Christmas, I have eggs from Sonew's silkies and EE's coming. For a cash strapped Christmas, this one's turning out pretty good! Bartering and a handy husband to thank.

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Those bartering and handy folks holiday gifts are just the BEST! One year, I re-glued the soles on a friend's very loved, very worn out work boots, gave em new laces and wrapped in the Sunday funny papers. He talked about that gift for YEARS.

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Congrats! Enjoy! You will have tons of fun with it!

4. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Thanks, y'all!

Farmin' chick - that sounds like very thoughtful present! It's one I know I'd appreciate.

Over Easy - I have angoras and spin, too! I closed my Etsy shop for the time being due to time constraints. But I just love the handmade idea!

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Congrats on the Christmas gift/homemade bator. There is a special enjoyment of hatching chicks in something that is homemade and simple. You will enjoy this Christmas in the whole next year to come.

6. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I had a post called free incubators in the past. Things that you find for free in the dump or recycling center. My biggest cost saver was the thermostat to control the heat. This was scavanged from an old Hot water heater. Heating element from a dscarded oven. Free stuff is everywhere. Just need a hubby to put it together.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good job, wishing you good Hatching.

AL

8. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:i'm using an old phone charger to power the computer fan. a person suggested going to a local hotel and going through their lost and found to find a match (my fans are 12v 0.1A). i fried the first fan using a battery charger with 12v 12A. i'd thought, actually bought, a 6V battery. hmmm, maybe 9V. the ones about 6" tall. the fan would prolly have drained the battery in a day.

yes, this is lots of fun. I'm just beginning myself. on day 13 of first hatch. i didn't think i'd see any development in the eggs i collected from our hens, but i did. it was a great shock. Usually i'm bored with something by the 2nd or third week. not so with this incubator. I'm wondering if we are hooked.

-r

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by