So my incubator broke...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CuteAsAButton, Feb 25, 2017.

1. CuteAsAButton

CuteAsAButton Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Winston Salem, NC
    Okay so my incubator has been broken. The heating has gone out and there's a big ol' hole in it. Do any of y'all have any incubator suggestions or any DIY ideas? I'd really appreciate it, as my eggs are coming in the mail on Friday and I ofc need an incubator. Thanks in advance! ^^"

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are so many ways you can DIY an incubator -- how many eggs of what type are you setting? What sort of budget are we working with here -- $0 and must be found in stuff you already have around the house or are there a few dollars available for some pieces?

3. CuteAsAButton

Feb 25, 2017
    Winston Salem, NC
    Hi! I'm getting about 15+ button quail eggs. I currently have a small-ish styrofoam cooler, a glass frame, some 20 watt bulbs and a thermometer. I think I need an extension cord + one of those light thingies that just connects to the light bulb. (I'm hoping to stay within a $20-$30 range) :p

4. dpsoffgrid

dpsoffgrid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    What kind of incubator broke? If the leads going to the heating element are putting out 110v ( they should be) you can just hook a light bulb to that. Just take the leads and wire them into a lamp base and screw your bulb in. Lamp bases are about $1.50 at lowes and places.

5. CuteAsAButton

Feb 25, 2017
    Winston Salem, NC
    Howdy! My incubator was a Hova bator 1602N I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by