So, my incubator is sweating...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeremy, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I just plugged the incy in, a Hovabator 1588, I've got it all set up to put in some of my own eggs that I've been collecting the past few days. Well as it has been heating up I've slowly been watching the humidity rise, mind you I have added no water at this point and the humidity level is at 94%! [​IMG]

What's the deal??? Is there any way I can get the humidity to drop before adding the eggs tonight? I have already pulled the red vent plug with little relief from the high humidity.

Any suggestions?

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Did you spill any water outside the tray when you were filling it? That could have caused the humidity to go up. You can open the top slightly for a few minutes to let some of the humidity out and the shut it and let it restabalize. If that doesn't fix it, well, I dunno [​IMG]

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Nope, I haven't added any water at all! I wanted to wait and see what the humidity levels would be like before adding any water as I had planned on doing a dry hatch this time around...

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Maybe the styrofoam had been in a really humid area [​IMG] ? Maybe the styrofoam soaked up the humidity [​IMG] ? I'd let it run 24 hours to see if the humidity goes away [​IMG]

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    What kind of hygrometer do you have?

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    are any of the vent's open...? how many...?

7. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah... that moisture is coming from somewhere. What is the room humidity level (RH%) where the incubator is located?

A dry incubator running at 100 degrees will have a lower RH% than the rooms RH% (unless the room is at 100 degrees or greater).

Let it run to "dry out" and equalize.

Cheers!

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sounds like you don't have any airflow.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    So after blow drying everything for about an hour last night, then letting the bator run overnight, my incubator is currently at 100.0 degrees F (same temp on 2 thermometers). I have two different hygrometers inside, a digital one by Fluker's that is showing 13% humidity and another non digital on showing around 40% humidity.

Which one do I trust?

10. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sounds like you need a 3rd one to see which 2 are close.I have 2 temperature/humidity from walmart,I put them side by side and they are 4 degrees different and humidity is 10 degrees different.I would think that a reptile hygrometer should work better.I hate to spend that kinda money,but it's gotta be done.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by