So my quail flock has Marek's...

le_bwah

Crowing
5 Years
May 1, 2018
Boise, ID
My Coop
My Coop
In the last few months, about a third of my flock has developed unilateral muscle wasting followed by total paralysis of one leg. Weakness seems to come and go before becoming permanent. No cloudy eyes, no cutaneous signs. I spoke to an avian pathologist with my state who seemed 100% convinced—based on presentation and my location in an endemic zone—this is Marek's. She said they've probably had it for years, but also that heat exacerbates Marek's symptoms.

I've lost five birds in the last three months: two spontaneously and three by my own hand. At this rate, chickens (vaccinated!) are looking more imminent than ever. Until then, I'm dedicated to keeping my remaining quail comfortable.

RIP: Ruby, Maple, Lady, Peaches, Mae

I would hold off on getting any new animals and find a place to get a necropsy. I use the l local vet lab at UNH. Where are you located?

Last edited:
I would hold off on getting any new animals and find a place to get a necropsy. I use the l local vet lab at UNH. Where are you located?
I'm not getting chickens right away. And I'll be removing old bedding and washing the structure before bringing in a new species, whenever that happens. Vaccination seems like the best course, too, given my location.

There are multiple labs in my city, but I don't plan on seeking a necropsy. The state pathologist I spoke with seemed convinced this is "classic" Marek's based on presentation of symptoms and location alone. Per my own reading, that's exactly what this looks like.

I asked her if I needed to cull the flock for safety. She said give them a chance since we're on an empty corner lot. She said about 30% of captive galliforms in my state who get it survive, with or without disability.

Only in retrospect do some of the neurological signs make sense. Most of the hens I've lost were over three years old, and I've been told that heat exacerbates the infection—we're in for a record heat wave this week, so now's just a scramble to keep them cool and see how it goes.

Following for more info. My chicken flock has mareks (confirmed necrop) I contacted my state vet before purchasing quail and she told me that Mareks is only transferred from chickens to chickens. I specifically asked about quail and turkeys and was told I would be fine. Is the information I've been given incorrect?

Back
Top Bottom