so my rooster drew blood today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fmizula, Sep 13, 2011.

1. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    i was talking to my fiance on the phone out walking arround the yard and all of a sudden my rooster come flying up at me and attacks my shins. i had long pants and tall boots on and he still managed to draw blood and create and instantious bruise and i dont bruise easily. is this normal? is he just an ass?? should i put him down or take his spurs out? if these attacks keep comming in going to have to do something. he protects my ladies good and that why he is still arround but in getting sick of being attacked!!
    arg

2. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
  3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Search for threads on BYC on managing aggressive roosters, and someone has a very good blog, too. The techniques worked great for me and are assertive but not violent. Not for everyone and I'm sure not for every bird. Takes some interest and motivation on the owner's part. Mother Earth News also has an archive article on not getting sucked into battling with your rooster.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Do you ever handle your roo? I read on here somewhere that picking up a roo & holding him even while he struggles to get away will show him that YOU are the dominant one on the yard. You're supposed to wait for him to calm down before you let him go.
    Being that I was terrified of ending up with one of these types of roo's, I started that as soon as I found out they were roo's. Never had any trouble with them; I have 3. Don't know if it's because that worked or I've just been lucky with them, I just know I wasnt taking any chances!

5. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    The techniques everyone is referring to are fabulous. They have worked with every roo but one. He was Satan's roo with mad Ninja skills. Funny part is that he was a white silkie bantam. He passed this on to the two sons of his that we were going to keep. CL is were I advertised all three of them and got rid of them...warning all that Chinese chicken soup would ultimately be their end and no families with children needed to come and get them. If at the time I had felt better (I have good and bad days), I would have put them in the freezer myself.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A human aggressive rooster usually stays human aggressive. It's heritable and he can pass that on to his sons (and daughters, even). I refuse to keep one here, period.

In the past, I've tried all that stuff and it never worked on any of the ones who started that crap when their hormones came into play. When they flog, they go. Handling them doesn't change them. I handle every single one from the time they hatch (not baby them, handle them). When the hormones start raging, I almost hold my breath. If they get up to 22-25 weeks and are still even-tempered and calm, they'll most likely stay that way, barring any odd circumstances that change their behavior. I have four standard roosters, two BRs, a Delaware and a Blue Orpington. Not a mean one in that bunch. Ones that turned on me are no longer here.

Life's too short to have to watch your back every minute. A rooster does not have to be human-aggressive to be an awesome flock protector.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A roo that drew blood on you needs to be put down (been there done that)- or you can rehome him with full disclosure and they will be aware.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    i read the article and it is probably right. my fiance hold him and never lets him be aggressive twords him and he has no trouble. i guess im scared and my roo knows it and likes to attack me. i need to toughen up.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:AMEN!!! [​IMG] first sign of Aggression I watch and if they do it again-he is in the freezer! I have a psycho broody bantam right now and I refuse to let her hatch any for fear she'll teach her chicks to be a nutjob towards all of us!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rooster drew blood today - I would draw blood tomorrow. Problem solved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by