1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So my Sunny is 100% broody & I've got a dumb question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kelly FG, May 14, 2007.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    we don't have a rooster, but of course silly broody Sunny doesn't know that so she has spend the last three days & nights in the nest. Yesterday & today I took her out many times but she keeps going back.
    Today she was sitting on three eggs layed by the other girls this morning & when I took them out they were HOT.
    If she sets on them all day while I'm at work(they are NOT fertile), are they still ok to eat?

I keep thinking they will spoil getting so hot.
    I told you it was a dumb question, so bring on the answers![​IMG]

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Mine are left out all day while I'm at work and my hens sit on them and my eggs are fine. I wouldn't worry unless you let them stay out for several days before you collect them.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They're fine. Just make sure to take them out every day. I'd worry after about 2 days.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    KellyFG, Eggs that aren't fertile will spoil and cause contamination when they explode from extreme heat from mom trying to hatch them. Without a roo it's a good idea to talk softly to mom and reach under her to salvage the healthy eggs.
    Simply collect and eat the eggs.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by