So nervous about chicks arriving this week!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4kids*2dogs, Mar 19, 2011.

1. 4kids*2dogs

4kids*2dogs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Maine
    Finally the week has come! We ordered our chicks over 2 months ago! We are as ready as we can be. I've been reading and learning almost every day! Food is in the feeder. Ecoglow is all setup. Brooder is ready. It feels the same as when I had the crib ready for our first baby !! (sort of...) [​IMG]

I have the Brinsea EcoGlow. I am praying that it will be warm enough for the babies as I don't know what I will do if one of them dies on me. [​IMG]
    I didn't buy any vitamins/electrolites yet. Do you think I need to have them on hand?

I bought them from MyPetChicken

2 White Silkies
    2 White Cochins
    1 Blue Silky
    1 Delaware
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    1 White Plymouth Rock

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    First, take a deep breath and relax!

Some people give them vitamins and electrolytes, some put a couple of pinches of sugar in the water for the first day, and many do neither. Really, if they arrive chirping and running around, it's probably not necessary. Dehydration is their first problem, so they just need to start drinking water right away. If you keep any kind of sports drink around, you could add a little to their water and it would give them a bit of both sugar and electrolytes. (Not the sugar free kinds, obviously.)

I hope they arrive healthy and ready to go!

3. 4kids*2dogs

Feb 15, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:Thank you! Deep breath helped!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Except you don't have to pee every 10 minutes! [​IMG]

When you get them and get ready to move them to the brooder, dip their beak in the waterer, then bring them upright so they can swallow. They'll find the food on their own. If any start acting lethargic, you can put some sugar in the water.

Just pay attention to how the chicks act: if they are all huddled up peeping loudly, they are too cold. If they are panting or lethargic, they are too hot. If they are laying together snoozing, but not piling on each other or cruising around checking stuff out - they are just right.

And [​IMG]

5. franko

franko Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    Don't worry. You will have so much fun your instincts will take over. After a few days, your biggest problem will be cleaning the cage. Just check in at BYC and they have all the answeres. Your in for a real treat.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I use an ecoglow too - you will be fine! raised 13 chicks under one and they all did fine. [​IMG]

7. 4kids*2dogs

Feb 15, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG]

And no pain ... So not quite the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by