So nervous, chicks 1st night in lower temps.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redfordchick, Mar 13, 2015.

1. redfordchick

redfordchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    Michigan
    So 17 chicks in my spare bedroom wasn't working out too well. I was out cleaning up the yard and decided to bring them out and put them in the dog kennel my dogs don't use. Just so they could stretch their legs and get some fresh air.

So once they were out of my house I didn't want to bring them back in for obvious reasons, had to clean the brooder out anyways so we moved it to our completely enclosed breezeway.

I'm just really concerned about such a drastic temp change for them. The bedroom was 70°, the breezeway says its 38° right now and daytime temps are reaching mid 50s. They didn't act cold outside for a few hours, but I got them all set up with fresh shavings, food, water, and their EcoGlow and I'm scared I'm going to wake up to frozen baby chicks. They are all different sizes, from 2 weeks old to about 6 weeks... They don't all fit under the EcoGlow and I raised it to highest setting so the majority of them could get under there. Leaves me to worry about the smaller chicks, there's only a few of the youngest group.

I covered about 2/3 of the top of the brooder, directly over the Eco Glow to hopefully help keep some warmth in.

Will they be ok? I feel terrible making the switch so suddenly but with so many I can't just bring them in and out. I'm not going to sleep well tonight!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I see it's been a few hours since you've posted. How did their first night go?

3. redfordchick

redfordchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    Michigan

They are all ok, I was pretty stressed and checked on them late then first thing. I have them out in the dog run again and its low 50's here. They've been out since early morning. If they were all 6 weeks I wouldn't have worried so much... But apparently the smallest are hanging in there. I put a box with pine shavings in the run, they seem to be doing well. (They are all moving about, not huddled) Now if I could get them to drink from their hanging waterer I'd be happy!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by