So nervous to move 6 week olds from brooder to Henspa!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadwoodFarm, Jun 25, 2011.

1. LadwoodFarm

LadwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Hi everyone, our mix of 6 chicks, now 6 weeks old, are probably ready to go out into their coop (a HenSpa), but I am being overprotective! We love having them in the brooder on our screened porch, just outside the kitchen. They could probably stay in there a couple weeks more, but I don't know what's best for them. If i wait, will they not be able to adapt to life in the coop? Is there a magic age when I really need to get them out there? The way the coop is set up, it's not possible to go in and take them out easily, so once they're out there, that's it! Any advice is welcome. Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    If your chicks are feathered and the nights don't get below 50 than I'd say it be all right to put them in the coop. Mine were 7wks. when I made the move. I did keep a red heat lamp in the coop for the first week so it wasn't such a big change. They adapted well and are thriving. They love the all room and the roosts!!!

3. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Mine (6.5 weeks) just spent their first night out in the coop, and did fine, although I will admit, I miss the chirping, and easy way to keep an eye on them. On the other hand, I do not miss the dust and mess.

4. LadwoodFarm

LadwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    We are in nj and nights are around 70 degrees so I think temp wise, we are ok, I'm just worried that they are still little and vulnerable out there, can you say paranoid?! Ok, so maybe I will wait til 7 weeks!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Perfect temp [​IMG].......As long as they are locked up tight and unaccessable to prediators then they'll be fine. Some will find their spot on the roosts and the others will still cuddle in a little pile on the floor in the shavings or whatever you have in there. Time to cut the apron strings momma hen!! [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by