so new I squeek!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jjakaus, Jun 26, 2011.

1. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    So, it started with telling my son's friend that I thought it would be so cool to have chickens like he did. After a week of begging from my kids, I agreed. We were given 4 chicks. I have no idea what kind they are. I am hoping someone can help...especially if you can give a good guess on sex too. I believe the white ones are about 2 weeks old and the black one is 2 days. My husband is building the coop and I am totally hooked...

Thanks so much for any help! This forum and website is a lifesaver!
    Janice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They are cute chicks, but it is too early to tell the sex. Have fun with your chickens.

3. jjakaus

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    Thanks..I figured too young on the sex, but what about breed?

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm still not great a determining the breed of chick unless it looks a lot like one that I already raised.

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    They might be mixes; do you know where your friend got them?

6. jjakaus

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    They raise them and sell them. The conditions that they keep them in is disgusting. The parents are Mexican and speak very little English. The son didn't seem to know the translation.

7. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Lots of babies start out yellow so probably not gonna have much luck with someone knowing the breed yet. So your friends didn't know the translation for what breed are they? The best thing would be if you could ask the people you got them from what breed they are. If I had to from the conditions you say they came I would guess barnyard mixes. They probably aren't particular about who breeds with who. Oh that might be a way you can tell look and see if they have all their breeds running together or if they have them in separate pens by breed. If you could go over and take pics of the parent birds and post pics you would probably have more luck at someone being able to tell you the breeds.

Good luck. They are pretty though.[​IMG]

8. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Looks like the black one might be a black astralorp and the pure white a white leghorn, the other two beats me.Lol.

9. jjakaus

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    Thanks everyone! I dont really care, just kind of interested!! They are so much fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by