1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So new to this (As of yesterday) Please help me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kissmeUfool, Aug 1, 2013.

1. kissmeUfool

kissmeUfool Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I just bought 2 EE hens (Although, I'm not convinced they are hens) and I'm having a couple issues. 1.) They wont come out of the coop. They are 4 months old and I didn't know if they are just nervous because it's a new coop and they went from 22 in a coop to just them or if they are just nervous from new surroundings. 2.) they also have had their beaks open all day and it is in the mid 90's and I don't know if they are too hot or again, nerves. they don't seem to be eating as well today as they did yesterday either. I didn't know if I was worrying over nothing or if there is a valid reason to worry.

2. farmerRyan

farmerRyan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Central Maine
    Make sure they have plenty of water so they don't get dehydrated. Also I would try putting them out yourself so they can see how it's done.

3. DawnMarie64

DawnMarie64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    I'm somewhat new at this too and you can get allot of great advice on this site.

When it was 90 plus here, I put a frozen bottle of water in the run with them and I also put ice in their water and I hung a sheet over their run so they would have a place that was shady besides under thier coop.

As far as the coop goes; I gave them a gentle "push" out of the coup and closed the door and made sure they were in the coop at night. It only took them a few days to discover what they were supposed to do.

Hope that helps and welcome!!![​IMG]

4. DawnMarie64

DawnMarie64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    I think I forgot how to spell. Geeze!!

5. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    x2 the open mouth is an indication of panting. It's actually not a terrible thing to have them in the coop a few days to get attached to it, but you need to have food and water in there with them.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First, you moved them to new surroundings. It will take them time to adjust. They will come out of the coop when they feel comfortable. Chickens are prey animals, so it is their nature to be cautious.

As for the open beak, they are panting. Chickens do not sweat, so they pant (like a dog does) to cool themselves. They will also hold their wings away from their body.

Make sure they have food and water available in the coop and they will do fine. You just need to let them adjust.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. kissmeUfool

kissmeUfool Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I just went out again and gave them some fresh cold water from the fridge and some crackers (They really seem to like them) Their beaks were closed until I started moving things around (Filling the water) I'm just going to leave the door open so they get the breeze and let them decide when to come out. I don't want to freak them out any more than they already are. Thank you for the replies :) I have a feeling I will be on here a lot over the next few months lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by