*SO not cool!!*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tripp16, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok well my hens have been laying a total of maybe 4 weeks! [​IMG]
    Well at first they were all laying great! Until it got down to me only getting about 1 or 2 eggs a day! Well today I see them flying around the run so I run out to see whats wrong! [​IMG]

They had PECKED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE EGGS in the hen house and were running around with the shells eating them and eating the yolks!!! [​IMG]

Does anyone know how to stop this behavior??? [​IMG]

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Go into the coop and paddle each of theirs butts!! lol Not Funny...Seriously, I'm Really Sorry, but I had to joke about it!! That is a fear I think we all have. It only take one to start it and the rest will follow suit! Again Sorry and hope you find some answers!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    M.sue :

Go into the coop and paddle each of theirs butts!! lol Not Funny...Seriously, I'm Really Sorry, but I had to joke about it!! That is a fear I think we all have. It only take one to start it and the rest will follow suit! Again Sorry and hope you find some answers!

No its ok! I needed a laugh about now! LOL

Thanks! [​IMG]

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    All your chickens may be eating the eggs but possibly not all your chickens are breaking the eggs. The bad news it I dont think you can stop an egg breaker. I have had at least one known egg breaker and after she broke the egg everyone helped eat it. We culled that gal but now I am afraid we have another breaker.... It is definately an aggravating behavior.

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:OH NO!! Now to find the culprit.... [​IMG]

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    we knew who our breaker was, she would hang out in the coop just waiting for eggs, plus she was a crested polish and had egg all over her head....

7. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Wearing the evidence [​IMG]....YES, that's a good way to figure out who's the troublemaker!!

8. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Haha! Mine are standard breeds so maybe they will get some on their combs! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I used had to have this problem (and still do, just not as much) but we guessed that it was because the one egg that was always eaten had a softer shell. I have also heard that if you are willing to sacrifice an egg, poke a hole in it, and place pepper inside and mix it up, the hens will eat it and dislike and hence stop eating the eggs. This wasnt very successful for us, since my mom put the spiciest chili we had (breaking it into pieces made my mom tear up [​IMG] ) into the egg, and the one hen that kept eating them still gobbled it up just fine. [Maybe it burned her taste buds dead [​IMG] ] But i have heard success stories about it, and maybe pepper does make a different compared to chili.... You could give it a shot. It might not make them stop breaking the eggs, but maybe it will stop them from eating it? [​IMG]

10. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    Try blowing out the egg and then filling it with yellow mustard, (hens hate mustard) and see if that has any effect. Roll away nest boxes have helped others. So sorry that you are having to deal with this, I hope you figure it out:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by