1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So now I've got all theses eggs ,is it legal to sell them in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by 2chickenrich, Jan 5, 2009.

1. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    We are getting 15 to 16 eggs aday, very large, lots of double yokes , from 17 hens.
    I guess I need to know where to get the information . Anybody know?
    The family and extend family are eatting eggs for us but we still have many left over.

2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I dont know if its legal or illegal... I sell mine to people at DH's work and give alot away to our neighbors [​IMG]

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You need a handling license. The problem is, you can't get a handling license any more. The guy who taught the classes has retired and they don't plan to hire anyone else. I think on farm sales are o.k. without a license.

4. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    we sell here to people at work. You can also sell at a flea market or a local home grown produse market.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    You need to be certified and get a license. Classes may not be being taught but at least the tests were being offered 2 years ago when we got ours. Check with your Coop. Extension and they should be able to get you a phone number.THanks.

(We were told that without this, we could not even sell from the home (crossed eyes symbol on this).

Sometimes I think the world forgets that small farmers are the most careful. THose that buy from us know how to find us. How does anyone find the person who handled the chicken that laid the Food Lion egg?

We have to be accountable beyong any regulations yet they regulate beyond belief.

Ah well I've vented. Gotta run gather eggs!

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    If any of you find an extension office willing to give the test without the classes, please let me know. I will drive. My ext. office won't do it. They just told me I was out of luck.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Barter....

Or sell to people you know and keep your mouth shut around public officials.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
  9. poohevans

poohevans Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    north west georgia
    hi

here in the north georgia area they will not let us sell eggs at a

flea market

but we can sell eggs at home for right now

10. poulet_passion

poulet_passion New Egg

Sep 30, 2010
    Barnesville, Georgia
    In Georgia you can sell up to 30 dozen eggs a week from home without candling or inspection. But your customer must come to your home or farm to purchase the eggs from you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by