So now that we have kids...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Jan 12, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Is she going to be able to make enough milk for all three of them? How can I tell if they aren't getting enough? One definitely seems a bit stronger than the other two, but they are only 3.5hrs old. Do I need to milk her out to get the colostrum?

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Are they sucking on mom yet? Did you make sure mom's wax plugs are out so that they can get the colostrum?

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Make sure the small one gets some of the colostrum, and then just keep an eye on them to make sure they are all growing. There's no need to milk it out
    If one isnt growing, them maybe you'll want to consider bottle feeding it, or at least supplementing it's feeding.

4. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    LaMancha's are FANTATIC Milkers....I bet she has enough. You'll know in a day or two if the little one gets weak or doesn't grow.
    You can milk out a bottle or two a day to supplement if you need to

I give my Dairy Does with kids all they want of Alfalfa Pellets. Lots of Calcium, Great for milk production!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have seen all three of them nursing at some point, so I know all of them have gotten at least some colostrum. I'm sure I'll be checking on them several times tonight... I am worried she will step on them or lay on them. Probably foolish worries, but they are so tiny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by