So-o-o excited! My first chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grandmajean, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Grandmajean

Grandmajean Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    My little Henny Penny hatched a chick! After three tries, usually not on her own eggs, success! She is in the coop with the others.
    Do I move her to a separate cage? Do I move the unhatched eggs with her? What excitement!!!

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm real happy for you and your girl. I bet she is proud.....Good luck!

3. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Congrats on your new addition! [​IMG] It's great, isn't it?

I know I always move my broodies to a separate cage. It's a little too chaotic in the coops for peace and quite. I know when they've hatched, the hen is extremely protective and will attack most any of my others without provocation. It's just best to keep them separate and slowly introduce into the flock. I built several above ground pens for this purpose and they keep the fuzzy butts from any ill fate.

Anyway... I think if you have a separate place that's more private, it's for the best.

Once my hens go to sitting, I move them and usually plug an egg or two under them that I want hatched. My last mob is below. Ivory is the best little mother, but her butt is only about 2 square inches wide. Not much room for big dom and NHR eggs... But, as you can see... She hatched 3 doms, a cochin friz, a brahma, and a mutt. [​IMG] Go Ivory!

Yep, move the eggs. You'll know when she's done sitting. She knows whether or not they'll hatch. If not, she'll abandon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. Grandmajean

Grandmajean Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I ended up moving her and all, in the dark, last night. Yours are beautiful! It is definitely a thrill!

5. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    I have this littlecochin, Lil Britches, sitting on about 13 eggs. I moved her to the pen the other day. The eggs had been accumulating and she went to sitting. So who am I to stop her?

My smallest hens are the best mothers!

[​IMG]

Thanks! GL! Send us a pic or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by