So....One broken foot later..the pigs are off!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by justusnak, Nov 5, 2008.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Last night, our butcher came to get the pigs. I was sooo hopeing he would come in the daylight, but Nooooooooo, the bum came just after 8 pm. For those of you who know pigs....dark is when the predators come out..therefore..they panic. So, we get the trailer lined up....the chutes in place...all I have to do is go in there with a stick, and guide them in...right!?? WRONG!! They panic...I ended up in my behind not once...but twice...in the MUD and well...you know...then at one point the largest sow( her weight is 301 pounds) came towards me....and stepped on my foot. She tore the top of my shoe open...and ripped the top of my foot open. I am now the proud owner of a very purple, swollen foot...but hey...the pigs are gone! LOL I pick them up on the 15th. I am SO GLAD that night is over. Looks like today is a slow day for me...ouchy...my poor foot.

2. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Ewooww....I hope you recover quick!!!!

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Please, PLEASE get a tetanus shot today!!!!! TODAY. And possibly a antibiotic, pig feet are no cleaner then a cows foot...I have been on the end of receiving a stepped on hand in a milking parlor before and it was blood poisoning! Please, just humor me and take super care of it, a day or two down is more then enough time.
    You take care!
    Kel

PS- [​IMG] wooohooo nothing like a fresh pork chop! lol [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks Kel, I am UTD on my Tetanus.....trust me. I am a clutz!! LOL
    Just a few " down days" Dang I was going to try to milk this one out for a week...if possible! LOL

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Deb~ I hope your foot heals quickly! Yippy for homegrown pork! Waiting to get mine back as well [​IMG]

6. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch! That's no fun! I hope it heals quickly for you. I guess it will make it even more satisfying to eat your fresh pork when you get it back, though! [​IMG]

7. spook

Good job Justusnak, I know working around manure you are open to many germs, not meaning to sound paranoid over the germs, but I knew of an elderly lady that was scratched on a nail in her own basement, no animals ever on the property and that she had owned for 50 years, went down stairs to get canned goods, brushed up against a nail, tore the skin a small pick and a while later she died from complications of Tetnus.
    You that do not feel they can get it, please be aware that if it was obsolete, no one would get a shot upon injury.
    Didn't mean to sound like a crabby mom, but Thanks for keeping your tetnus UTD!

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Spook.....trust me.. I am just as paranoid about the possibilities if staff...tetanus...and lockjaw! I try to keep up on my immunizations...and for the DH as well. He is a bit more stubborn tho....being retired military he feels he has had enough shots! LOL
    The foot is MUCH better. Im guessing it wasnt broken...just maybe fractured..and a VERY deep bruise. Back on it today...and not feeling too bad. [​IMG]

9. spook

You are one lucky camper! Pigs can be terrible on ones body! LOL. Glad your doing so much better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by