1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So, one of my Black Australorps...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by michellerene, May 14, 2007.

1. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    has white feathers at the tips of both of her wings... is she a mystery breed or is it possible for BA's to have some white feathers? She's from the feed store.

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Mine had some white on the tips of her wings for a short while, but at 14 wks old, she's all black now.
    How old are yours?

3. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    My two Australorps had white on them when we got them. Now at 6 weeks they are almost totally black, with a little white fuzz still around their heads.

4. tiffwilhelm

tiffwilhelm Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Northern California
    My Australorp has two white tipped feathers on the tips of her wings too. She is about 8 or 9 weeks old. Otherwise she is all black and cute as a button! Her name is Agnes ... she's very cuddly. I will miss the little white tips when they go.

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    That is just a characteristic of a BA chick.

6. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Ours had white tips on some of the wings and some had white tips on their tails. Some at 1 year still have tiny white tips on their tails. 1 still has tips on her wings. I had wondered about that myself! They all came from a reputable commercial breeder, so I trust that they are full breed. I do love their tips!
    Amy J.

7. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Thanks, all. She is about 4 or 5 weeks old-- these are her first wing feathers. I guess she'll get her "real" feathers during her first molt, then?

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I've had Australorps for years and sometimes you will get a rogue white feather in the wings. My favorite old hen Alice had one white feather her whole life, molt after molt.

9. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    My black Austrolorpe had white tips on her wings for a while. She might even still have them. She's almost 3 1/2 months old now and they are starting to go away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by