So proud! I "fixed" my hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by baucomgop, Aug 26, 2010.

1. baucomgop

baucomgop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Annapolis
    My Hen that hasnt been laying over the last week has laid an egg! I feel so much better now. After being adviswed that this could be a problem if she collects yolks in her abdomen, I decided to give her a good examination. I noticed that she had accumulated a nice sized lump of rock hard poop under her vent. With my husband holding her I cleaned this off. After seeing it, I was sure that this was either blocking her vent or making it painful to sit and lay. She laid a beautiful egg the very next morning!

So thought I'd update and thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts.

Louisa
    in Annapolis MD

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That's wonderful! So glad you fixed her up!

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Wow! I'll bet she feels better now.

4. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    Good job!!

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well done.

It just shows that examining the bird and providing 'first aid' can be all that is needed.

sandie

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thats good news. Welcome to BYC.

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] GREAT! [​IMG] Wish all solutions could be so simple. [​IMG]

and... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Great job figuring out the problem and getting it taken care of! I am actually a lot less reluctant to do my own "doctoring" on my animals since I have had my horses. I do all of the vaccinations on them and most of the small stuff. I have been reading up on a lot of the "emergency" threads and have been amazed at some of the things people have been able to do on/for a sick chicken. There are a ton of people out there willing to give good advice and help!

[​IMG]

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    maybe when she felt like she needed to lay and sat down the 'lump' felt like an egg, and so she thought she layed it

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  10. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    Hummm. I'm wondering if that something like that is going on w/ mine. Was the egg you got the next day normal? I have been missing one egg a day, and I thought one was hiding a stash somewhere, but after searching and searching, to no avail., I gave up. But then yesterday I got my normal 8 eggs, but one of them was shaped oddly, so I figured that she was almost egg-bound and then got unstuck. But I don't know which chicken does what, so... I need to get those bands and put on their legs by different colors, that may help. Anyway, I am wondering if I'll get my 8 eggs today [​IMG] jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by