So proud of my horse Cheyenne and my dad

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Some of you may remember that my dad and I bought a little black and white paint filly about 3 years back. She was 1 1/2 when we bought her and she needed a lot of work. She was halter broke, but that was about it. I worked with her while I was home from college, but my dad has been working with her consistently for the last 3 years. Originally, we were planning to hire a trainer to break her, but we were having trouble finding one we liked. My dad had gone to watch a few and they were sooo rough. We are more natural horsemanship kind of people and for some reason people around here are more into wacking the heck out of their horses. So instead of wasting time, my dad read, went to clinics and seminars, and watched heaps of DVDs. He started introducing the bridle and saddle early, but she took a long time to mature to 15H so he waited until this past summer to start riding. He was able to get on her without ANY problems. Never a buck at all! She picked up very quickly on the cues and she is turning out to be super intelligent (I think my dad got off a bit easy there! LOL) Last weekend, he told me he took her out on the trail for the first time and she was amazing. She had a great time, didn't spook, and trailered like a champ. So it looks like we have a new trail horse! It works out very well for us because we finally had to retire our old guy from the trail and needed a second horse out there. I am so proud of my dad for doing such a good job with her, especially since it was his first time working with a baby. She has turned out to be gentle, loves attention, and has great manners.

Here is an old picture when we first brought her home. Her legs are not splayed in the back like they look in the picture. She was also really short, at about 13.2H when we brought her home.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture from '09 when she was still in her awkward teen stage. Unfortunately I don't have a good recent picture, but I will try to get one when I am home this weekend!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Awsome she sure si a beautiful girl!!! congratz!! tis always so rewarding to see an animal you work with for so long to make such good progress!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's beautiful, CD. Post a grown up picture when you can. Well done on your Dad's part. [​IMG]

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Shes so pretty!

Good for your dad! I'm glad you kept her away from those kinds of trainers too [​IMG] It really is amazing, that horses worked with gently and with a lot of time on the ground, just don't freak out when they are ridden [​IMG] I would think this would be common practice for everyone by now [​IMG]

Anyway.. good on your dad for taking the time to train himself too!

5. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    Tell your dad good job! That is truly an accomplishment to be proud of.

6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by