So proud of my lady

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinajacobs, Mar 3, 2016.

1. tinajacobs

tinajacobs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    South africa
    She is only lying on one egg but I am hoping for the best its the first time one of my hens are broody so so so excited I read that I need to clean underneath her I just want to know how necessary is this I don't want to bother her to much any other tips would be most welcome

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

Silly question, but I'm assuming you have a roo? If you have other hens, I'd suggest removing the single egg, and waiting until you have some more to put under her (i.e. you keep the eggs in a cool place in the house and then put them under her one evening. She will remain broody - eggs under her or not. I usually check to ensure that a hen is committed to being broody before putting eggs under her and i do this by observing her sitting in the nest during the night for 2 nights.

I'd suggest searching for "storing fertile eggs" if you wish to consider putting more eggs under her.

All the best
    CT

3. tinajacobs

Aug 25, 2015
    South africa
    Something weird happened when she became broody the other hens just stopped laying so I am trying to figure out what's up with that they are molting now and I am adjusting their feed so hopefully it will get resolved oh and yes I have a roo

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    yeAh mine tend to do the same. It's one reason I break my broodies, one starts and before you know it the others start and no eggs. Or the broody one is a cranky but and nobody is game to lay while they are in there growling lol

As for cleaning under her, hadn't heard that but then they are usually in a clean straw nest. Once she is good and settled it takes a lot to make them give up so you should be able to clean if needed.

5. tinajacobs

Aug 25, 2015
    South africa
    She is very cracky the roo's butt was solid kicked when I chased her off yesterday I am going to let her lay on her egg it's close to winter I will candle the egg in a couple of days and see if I can see something if it doesn't look good I will close off the nest and brake her broodiness I am just glad she became broody I though I would have to incubate the eggs cause it's taken forever

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by