So Proud of My New Little Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by P8ntCrazy, Mar 10, 2014.

1. P8ntCrazy

P8ntCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Queen Creek Arizona
    So proud of my 19 new girls. They are all starting to lay one by one. It is fun seeing a new little egg every day in the nesting boxes. They are such smart girls and have learned well from our older hens. All eggs have been in the nesting boxes and none on the floor. Although I know everyone says we have plenty of boxes for the number of girls we have 26 laying and 8 boxes. Sometimes it seems like they are standing inline waiting for a box. A couple of times I have seen two in a box at once. What are your thoughts on adding a few more. I just don't want broken eggs.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They have favorite nests. I think you have enough. I had 10 hens in a coop with 4 boxes and they only used 2. There were available boxes, I've seen 2 and 3 hens in the same nest. If your shells are hard, I wouldn't worry about broken eggs.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have 4 nests for 8 hens and keep 2 golf balls in each nest all the time......they seem to spread the love, sometimes there's at least one egg in every nest..... and I've never seen anyone waiting in line for a nest.

So I would suggest try putting a couple fake eggs or golf balls in all the nests and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. P8ntCrazy

P8ntCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Queen Creek Arizona
    I only have one that has thin shell and she is an older hen I received from my parents. They think she is about 3 or 4 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by