So proud of myself!! Made a "breed pen" in my coop!! All by myself!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kelly G, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

O.K. My husband built the coops....they are both surrounded by one 50'x50' chain link fence that is 8' tall.

Recently, I ended up with a "surprise" roo - that I actually LIKE! He's an EE, and I have 19 EE girls for him....but 30 hens all together. I figured I better segregate him and his girls from the rest of the flock to increase his fertiltiy.

Anyway.....it's not pretty - but it works, and I did all the 4' fencing and chicken wire etc all by myself!!!

eta: click on this photo to see video of chicken yard:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Nice! [​IMG]

3. Kelly G

Hey, thanks, Maxx!!!! That's really nice!!!

4. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Did you get the "surprise roo" from the hatchery? That would be nice for a surprise. I'm currently trying to find a good rooster for some hens to increase their offsprings laying ability, and am thinking of getting an EE rooster. Cool how you guys made the run yourself.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. Kelly G

JJJ [​IMG] A friend of mine teaches science, and she hatched 6 EE's for her class last spring. There were three girls and three boys. He was the kindest of the three roos, so he got to stay. He is 9 months old....and is still polite and sooooo handsome:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what hatchery my friend bought the eggs from.....

6. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    He is just gorgeos. Never saw a pure white one. I think I'll be getting a EE now.

7. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Wow! Thats a nice rooster and pen! Looks like a nice place to raise some EEs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by