So, purebred Araucanas... When they feather in

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MichiganWoods, Apr 16, 2009.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do the females typically feather in much faster than the males? And if so, is it very noticeable from the get-go? A few days old and 3 out of 4 of my chicks are feathering in fast. 1 (the blue/splash) is doing so much slower than the rest.

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Um nooooooooooo [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Not really much you can tell by feathering this early, but the combs are good indicators of boys. The boys are much thicker than the girls and will get pink quick (similar to a single comb roo). The girl's comb stays very slim and doesn't get pink until they're almost ready to lay.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    about when do you see that hinkjc? cause I have 3 I hatchd from you and I still cant tell, they are over 4 weeks easy by now... lol maybe if I post them...

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    5-6 weeks you can be pretty sure on the roos. I just sold a trio that hatched on 3/4 and I was 90% sure of the gender based on the thicker comb and personality of the one. The other two still had a very slim comb and no color.

6. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hmm. Well, both of the white ones should be girls then. Very thin combs. Dark blue boy is definitely a boy. Very very wide comb. The only one that is a toss up is the light blue/splash. It's a little wider than the whites, but not quite as wide as the dark blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by