So sad and mad!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazyland, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I had seen a house that had chickens and today decided to stop when I saw somebody outside.

What a MISTAKE!

They had so many chickens running loose. Said they only put the hens in a pen when they wanted some eggs to eat. They fed them whatever was cheap and they could afford.

They had 11 dogs ranging in age and 11 puppies they said were under the house. Every female old enough to breed had obviously been bred. And most of them were mutts! Also they had 2 pens for the dogs. one had 3 dogs and the other had 4 with the rest roaming. The dogs had small plastic bowls they filled with water from the hose. And I stopped at 11 when they were giving them water. The dogs were drinking every last drop that was put in the bowls! Also some of them were extremely thin. I felt so bad for each of them! They had one momma dog that looked just like my mutt puppy I got from the rescue.

Thankfully next weekend I should be visiting someone from here who has chickens and takes care of their animals.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I assume you reported it to Animal Control?

It takes them a while to get on it sometimes, but I know that here they are very diligent.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Wow. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Crazyland

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I don't think I can. While the dogs were thin they were not emaciated. The dogs in the cages had shelter and those roaming could go under the house or into a "barn". And the chickens can also do the same.
    Only one dog didn't have shelter and he was tied to a chain next to one of the cages. So I don't know if he gets off of that. Only one dog goes into the house the rest stay out.
    So they do get food, water and shelter. [​IMG] It is just horrible the conditions they have to live to live in.

5. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    That's such an aweful story!!! I'll never understand things like that. [​IMG]

6. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Some people just should not have critters! [​IMG]

7. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I'd still report them. Many places have rules about how many dogs you can have, and 11 is a lot.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Yes you can report it it's called an animal welfare check it goes like this: "Hello, I stopped at a house today to look at some chickens and I noticed they had a really large number of animals and that all the female dogs were pregnant or had litters and I'm worried because some of them look so thin!"
    Then animal control goes out and does a welfare check and they will be the ones to decide if the animals are healthy or not or mistreated, not you.

9. Crazyland

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I'll see what they have to say tomorrow. But knowing this county, it won't be much if anything.

Hopefully the people will downsize. I just think that their hearts are bigger than their wallets.

I didn't say that they were thinking of breeding one of the young females on her next heat, they said she was 11 months old. [​IMG] I left quickly after that. I didn't want to stir the pot as I was about to boil over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by