So Sad I just did 5 eggtopsies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Dec 6, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Sad and really gross at the same time. I feel bad that I was so grossed out! I had 5 eggs that had at one point started to grow and had given up. I finally decided it was time to get them out of the bator. I put each on a ziplock and cracked them. 1 egg had blood vessels that had started but there was no sign of a chick inside. The other 4 had babies in them. Very tiny. Starting at about 1/4 inch, to a little over 1/2 inch. Looked like about day 5 or 6 quitters.
    I'm even more sad because I think I have another quitter in the bator but it was moving last night so I'm going to give it some more time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yea, not always pleasant. I had a quail egg with chick full grown, feathers, feet, eyes etc that should have hatched but died somehow, probably one a day before due date. No idea why. All other 11 of them hatched.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, I did that once and had some really gross results too......It's good to do, because then you can maybe figure out what adjustments to make next time, but it's gruesome all the same......and kind of sad when you get a nearly fully formed chick......

[​IMG]

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    My last failed hatch I had two fully formed chicks that pipped but somehow died while coming out I think they suffocated. [​IMG]

But anyways I did a eggtopsie on one of them and it was just all folded up not very pleasant.... I was just imagining it up and running around in the brooder box like I had invisioned before.... [​IMG]

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I did a bunch last time, and posted a report. Most were very late quitters, like Day 19 and later. Basically fully formed chicks. Was kind of painful to see. So I know how you feel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by