So sad, lost 1 of our 3 chicks, 5 days old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhuxol, Apr 11, 2011.

1. rhuxol

rhuxol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    We got 2 Easter Eggers and 1 Plymoth Rock last Thursday, they have been doing so great, but woke up this morning and 1 of the Easter Eggers was dead. I don't know what went wrong. The other 2 seem fine, heat was a little low but the other 2 were on the opposite side of the lamp not acting like they were cold. I'm so sad, I feel responsible and want to make sure the other 2 are ok. Do chicks just sometime die? I got them at Orchelins. They won't have more in until Thursday so I want to get another so there can be 3. Will one of them being younger affect how I keep the heat? [​IMG] Boooo sad Monday.

2. SilkieMama17

SilkieMama17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Alfred
    I had a little one die last night. I think the temp may have been too high in my brooder, but I'm still not sure why the lil fuzz ball died. The others all seem fine, and the one that died had seemed fine up until then. I think sometimes just not all of them can make it. It was def. a sad morning! I feel your pain! [​IMG]

3. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

A woman that came into TSC around the same time as me said 5 of her 6 died, luckily only had 5 pass. I don't know what it was, my guess was stress from all the moving.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    does the store replace the ones you lost? maybe you should get 2 more... just in case.. sometimes it just happens, do you have sugar in your water, sometimes it helps with the stress of store bought or shipped chicks.

5. johnwhite

johnwhite Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    What a sad story [​IMG]

6. rhuxol

rhuxol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    I did not know about the sugar in the water, maybe when I get another I will try that. I knew that the other chicken lovers on here would sympathize!

7. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:yes, we hate to lose any of our critters! Hope you have better luck with the next baby.

8. Momoflilgs

Momoflilgs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    I'm sorry for your rough day. Before I actually got our chicks, I used to think that "they're just chickens" and didn't feel I would become attached. Boy, was I wrong! I'm sorry for your chick loss.

9. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    Chicks will some times just die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by