1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SO sad :( Lost 4 out of our 7!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by amgreen1980, Jun 27, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    I am finally over this enough to post, and I figure, no one else really understands just how I feel [​IMG] A stray dog got 4 of our 7 'babies' last weekend. We went from 3 barred rocks ( 2 hens, 1 roo), 3 reds ( possibly 2 hens, 1 roo) and a little cochin bantam hen to 3 total! All I have left are my barred rooster, a red hen and our little bantam. We never found evidence other than a few feathers, but I am ok with that. The dog disappeared for several days, but finally resurfaced and dh took care of it. Not what we would normally do, but we felt we had no choice! These were mine and my 4 kids PETS! Ugh! So, now I have to decide if I want to start over with chicks, so we can hand raise them, or get chicks the same age as ours ( about 8 weeks). Either way it will be work. Either brooding again, or figuring out how to keep them separate for a month to make sure we are free of disease! BOO!!!

2. PorkChop

PorkChop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    Sorry to hear about your loss, and am sure it's even more difficult because they were your kids pets. It's good news your husband was able to take care of the dog, at least that threat has been eliminated.

3. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

So sorry but glad you got the thief.

4. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    :(Sorry to hear your sad news. I hope your kids are dealing with this well. I know mine would be quite upset for sometime. Ask your kids what they would prefer to do seeing they were their pets, getting new chicks or the 8 wk.old. Like you said either way it would be work but it might make them feel better if they get to help in the decision making. Darn dogs!!

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] so sorry this happened.

6. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    i am so sorry i to have lost a chick to a dog

7. Natalie65803

Natalie65803 New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    [​IMG] We recently lost three of our five chicks to a predator that has yet to be identified. My daughter is devastated and it made me very sad too. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by