so sad. lost my sweetest chicken. Help on netting?

alaskalife

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
I lost one of my girls yesterday. I came home and what i assume was a hawk killed and ate my Ellie . The rest of them went in the nesting boxes and hid. thankfully. I just did twine over the top of the run. I have a big bird net coming in the mail on Saturday. I spent 100$ on supplies and none of them worked so twine was my last hope. I just hope it will work until Saturday. Should i get more twine or will it do? We also hung old dvds up.

Attachments

• AB261338-EB54-4DB1-A7F3-AA883D431434.jpeg
    AB261338-EB54-4DB1-A7F3-AA883D431434.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
I lost one of my girls yesterday. I came home and what i assume was a hawk killed and ate my Ellie . The rest of them went in the nesting boxes and hid. thankfully. I just did twine over the top of the run. I have a big bird net coming in the mail on Saturday. I spent 100$ on supplies and none of them worked so twine was my last hope. I just hope it will work until Saturday. Should i get more twine or will it do? We also hung old dvds up.
i have rope with CD's and neon pink streamers hanging from the rope, a year and a half and i am lucky i have not lost any chickens to hawks, just two 4 week old babies to a raccoon

UPDATE:
HAWK CAME BACK. I was putting my kids to bed and i had a feeling to go check. There it was right on the outside of the coop looking in the window! So clearly it couldn’t get in the run but still yikes. If i hadn’t been out there It may have tried to squeeze in somewhere. Makes me anxious thinking about it. I took my shoe in the air and shouted at it and it flew away instantly. I locked the coop up for the night. We don’t have many options where i live. I tried Lowe’s, Home Depot, Fred Meyer & our only sporting goods store. I can try Walmart tomorrow. I just cleaned the coop out really good tonight since i know they will be locked in there any time i leave the house now. When do these kind of animals give up? Will it take a few times. It looked pure evil and i just hate it.

I've purchased netting from amazon in past. Thought Id mention just incase Walmart in your area doesn't have any. And if you don't have Amazon option you can order online through Walmart web page since I'm thinking they only carry it online and not in store. :) In my local Walmart it's offered online only.
Same here. I ended up getting mine from eBay. I put in a max bid and was surprised I got it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs
That looks pretty good. (The twine)
I'm not sure, but you might need a little more...
As long as a hawk can't swoop in through any hole in the twine that a hawk could fit through, they should be safe. (From hawks, that is. :hmm)

Sorry for your loss! :hugs Twine looks like a good idea but the space between it might be just enough for a hawk. Any chance you have an old sheet or tarp you could cover it until Saturday?

Welcome to BYC by the way! Hate that your first post is under bad circumstances :hmm

Back
Top Bottom