SO SAD....need a pick-me-up :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HorseFreak777, Dec 23, 2011.

1. HorseFreak777

HorseFreak777 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    So, I went to go put my chickens up for the night, and noticed Snickers was missing. I ran around looking for her, and I found her feathers....inside the dog pen. [​IMG]
    She must have jumped up on the side of the pen and fallen in. I don't blame my dogs, accidents happen, and my dogs are bird dogs (Yellow Lab and Chesapeake bay) so they did what they normally do.

But, I'm still very sad..... [​IMG]

2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. juliaronan

juliaronan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Locust Grove
    Awww! So sorry to hear this. We do love our sweet "littles" and we do our best to protect and care for them. Sometimes things happen.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG]

5. goosehead

goosehead Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Right here
    So sorry about Snickers. I know what it's like losing your girl.javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]', '');

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss! Any way you can run some bird netting or deer netting over the dog pen? Maybe even just attach some of the netting to some 8 foot bamboo poles with zip ties and run it along that side of the fencing to keep the chickens from hopping up.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I cried my eyes out 2 years ago when my Polish roo jumped the fence to kill my dog............

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Breaks your heart doesn't it? Sorry.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I would like to ask, even though your dogs are bird dogs, have you hunted them. If so, whenever they retreive a bird do they tear it up before it's brought back. I just fail to see why people who have a bird dog tear up a chicken say, "it's just a bird dog". They are not trained to tear up the birds so why would it be natural for them to kill one? [​IMG]

10. LCEchickens

LCEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    So sorry! We just lost one of our BRs, Rose, last week. I always lock the dog up in our bedroom when the girls are out, but my 3yr old was "helping" by letting him out. After getting out of the bedroom, he slipped out the back door when my daughter let the other dog in. Thankfully I realized he was out there before he moved on to the other girls. Our dog is a retriever mix and I managed to train him not to harass the girls while they are in their run, but I have always known that given the chance, he would kill one. [​IMG]

Take care...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by