So sad..not sure what happened???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenni22776rn, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG] I just lost my 12 week old silkie Hoover...I knew she was not feeling good..was a little concerned with her lack of weight gain and have been feeding her vits and daily eggs..I came home from work this morning..and I noticed she was not walking around very good and when I picked her up..she vomited up this green liquid. I brought her inside and kept her by my bed..I just woke up and she was gone! so sad my first loss of a chicken. Not sure what I dod wrong with her but I feel so bad! Now my poor little Sammie, my other silkie is all alone...he just keeps walking around the pen peeping loudly..they were the same age and came from the same breeder..they have never been apart..so devastated!! I think she may have sick all along because she never gained weight..Sammie my other one is getting so big but my Hoover never did. I now have to bury her....so sad! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sorry. [​IMG]

I don't think you did anything wrong. Sometimes it just happens.

Imp

4. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Thanks....should I think about mabye getting another one the same age for my Sammie? I hate seeing him all alone walking around the pen peeping...looking for her! Talk about feeling guilty!

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG] I did a search on byc and there are several threads regarding green vomit. Seems to be fermented grass going sour in the crop. I never knew of this as well. There are suggestions of how to handle this problem if it should ever happen again. Again I'm sorry [​IMG]

6. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:I would chickens are social animals. Poor Sammie

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yes, another would be good. Chickens are flock animals. Until then try putting a small stuffed (plush) animal in with Sammie, or a feather duster.

Imp

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Oh I'm so sorry that happened. Yes I would get her a companion.[​IMG]

9. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Thanks to Hoppy and Moutaintop silkies..I was able to find not 1 but 2 little silkie chickens to bring home to my little Sammie. Little Miss Abigail and Miss Annabell! One white and one black silkie! I am still not sure what happened to my little Hoover but I think something might have off with her from the start where I had concerns with her not growing and not gaining any weight. I wish I knew in case I did something wrong. At least my Little Sammie is not alone anymore!

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You should get a roo. Both of mine have been huggy bears, and have unique personalities. Then you can grow your own silkies, and your girls will hatch them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by