So Sad!! Really need advice! PICS

Luvmybob

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Florida
I wrote last week about a broody girl under the shed and was advised to move her and her eggs for her safety.... we did and we were so surprised to see that she was laying on 25 eggs!!

36729_25_eggs_001.jpg

Sadly, we lost one while we were replacing the eggs....my 1 yo was trying to help and she accidently dropped one....

36729_25_eggs_003.jpg

Here is my BO's 25 eggs...

36729_25_eggs_005.jpg

We candled them and found out that 11 of them were fertile so we made her a nest and a cage, lovely place BUT she abandoned them even though we locked her in her cage with her new nest, she refused to sit on them....now I don't know what to do...we placed a heat lamp on them and they are still in their nest outside, we live in FL so it's not cold but it can get cool at night....they were COLD to the touch a couple of times, what are the chances of them hatching?? I have another broody girl but she is already laying on 11 fertile and I know adding anymore would cause her to not be able to heat them all and overwhelm her....so what do you think???

Thanks so much! God Bless!!

Last edited:
I'm in Clay County- Florida...I don't have the money to get one right now and I don't know anyone who has one....I have kept them outside in the nest with a heat lamp on them and I'm turning them...it was about 66 degrees this morning so the eggs got cold because the mom didn't want to set on them...I placed the lamp closer to the eggs and I just went outside to check on them, they are very warm and I turned them...

This is where they are...

36729_25_eggs_again_001.jpg

Eggs in the nest and under the heat lamp 75 watts

36729_25_eggs_again_004.jpg

I put one of the eggs under the other BO broody--hers are due Friday

36729_25_eggs_again_005.jpg

The BO mamma who bailed = (
36729_25_eggs_again_008.jpg

Last edited:
well i dont know where clay county is but im in fort myers and ive got an extra incubator and turner you could borrow if youd want to come pick it up if its not to far? im done hatching for awhile so i dont really care when i get it back just as long as i do lol

Heat lamps cook eggs more often than incubate them. If you can find/borrow an incubator do so or build a cooler incubator like MissPrissy's, cheap to make and works lots better than a light bulb, no thermometer and a draft.

Best of luck. Broodies are like that - it's why I started incubating - abandoned nests and ruined hatches. Proof nature doesn't know better and chickens have brains the size of small garden peas.

you're not to terribly terribly far from me if we could meet in ocala.... i know someone with bator space. have you candled them to see if they're still ok?

you could also try contacting sillystunt....she made an emergency incubator and it's worked well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom