So sad.. womans dog mistaken for a coyote and set free.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Jul 23, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

As the owner of the absolutely sweetest german shepard-coyote mix, I really hope this family finds their dog!!!! My Scooter is priceless. He is sweet to people, protects the property with different barks for different disturbances, and never hurts my ADULT birds. The small ones he thinks are toys - we have learned. [​IMG] But we love that dog, and the fact that he LOOKS like a coyote...... I pray this never happens to us.

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Whoever made that decision must not know a darn thing about coyotes. I can't imagine anyone ever thinking a shiba inu looks like a coyote. They are a different color and shiba inus are at least half the size of an average coyote. Poor lady.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

wow that's terrible! I agree, they must not have ever seen a real coyote!
    And what kind of animal control releases a "wild animal" behind a home improvement store anyway??? Shouldn't they have taken it to the woods, or consulted with a wildlife rehab or game and fish department???

It would have helped if she had chipped her dog, or AT LEAST kept a collar on it. Poor girl!!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I have a bad feeling that this dog is coyote food now... [​IMG]

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Its quite simple, there are SO many coydogs out there today in the wild that they are starting to look like... well... sled dogs actually. I've seen many a coyote pelt from reputable trappers that looked JUST like Fido next too. Amazing and beautiful pelts and they make gorgeous mounts, but they DO look like dogs!

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

So sad. [​IMG] Sounds like that shelter needs some schooling in dog breeds. [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Its quite simple, there are SO many coydogs out there today in the wild that they are starting to look like... well... sled dogs actually. I've seen many a coyote pelt from reputable trappers that looked JUST like Fido next too. Amazing and beautiful pelts and they make gorgeous mounts, but they DO look like dogs!

Reminding everyone this poster is from Alaska...... And she is right! There are sooo many mixed breeds that resemble coyotes that it isn;t even funny. My own dog looks JUST like one.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I have to ask -- WHY was the dog taken from her fenced back yard to start with? Would she not have been entitled to notification or summons if someone had reported her having a coyote as a "pet"? Did the police come onto her property and take her dog from her fenced back yard without notifying her in any way? How tragic... (and scary).

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree this is everyone's fault : The shelter for not having the sense to realize this animal was too friendly to be a WILD coyote, and to not question this... and the owners for not keeping her dog licensed or chipped - even in her backyard. My dogs are in a underground fence - but when i'm not home they are tied out because one can and will get past the fence and chase cars...They are both colored - with ID and rabies tags and chipped which the info is kept up to date if I move.

I would be beside myself if someone let my dogs loose on purpose and someone would be hurting. They contacted State Wildlife - but I'm guessing no one from Wildlife actually seen the dog - they just communicated by phone, and so this is on them as well. And I agree 'the woods behind a home improvement store' - wow if this was a real WILD coyote - you want it roaming around a business? Especially one who was people trusting? - of course if it was a coyote and not a poorly identifiied shiba inu.

I feel for this owner and her dog - and I agree this dog is probably long gone. [​IMG] and this is a horrible tragedy for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by