So Sad

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by drdoolittle, Sep 1, 2010.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, I finally sold 4 of my 14 ducks this past weekend. I thought I would be, well, not exactly happy about it, but at least pleased. I'm NOT. I sold them to a guy I work with, and he has lots of animals that he raises for meat, and/or eggs. I know the ducks won't be neglected or abused, but he thinks of his animals (except for his English mastiffs) in a utilitarian sense, not as pets. My ducks have been raised as pets, and had a very large pen to raom about daily with the chickens and goats, with their own wading pool. I'm sure my co-worker is not going to set up a pool for the ones he bought from me.[​IMG] He wanted them only for eggs, and said he wasn't planning on butchering the drakes either, so at least I don't have to worry about that. I tried not to get too attached to the ducklings I knew I was going to have to sell, but now I'm finding myself missing them. I realise that some will think me an emotional female, but if that's my only crime, I'm doing well. I actually thought of asking the guy if I could buy them back, which would be ridiculous, as I don't have space for 14 ducks----their nighttime enclosure is only big enough for eating and drinking, and they have a huge house to sleep in. Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my chest. The ducks I sold were a pair of khaki campbells, and a pair of black runners.[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    you have to do what you have to do.

Time will heal the pain of separation.

3. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Sometimes its horrible [​IMG]
    But atleast they have a pen and space, a nice life? It might not matter that he's not there with them, but aslong as they're happy
    [​IMG]
    and you raised them to be pets and people-friendly ducks, you have every right to feel sad and get this off your chest!

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    It's not that I spent a lot of time with them, other than being in the big pen and watching them just be ducks. I just feel bad that they won't have a place to swim and play in the water like they did here. Not sure of what their permanent pen will be like, he had them in a temporary pen with a wire bottom when I first took them over. Anyway, he does care about animals, and they won't be harmed---that's the main thing. And my ducks I still have will have more room at night, and that was the goal.[​IMG] Thanks, everyone for your responses.

5. callducklover20

callducklover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Bonner Springs, KS
    Its just like all the other animals I have fostered, I feel a hole in my heart when they go but at least they have a life-they should be fine since they have each other

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by