So sad....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lincolnsilkies, Sep 19, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    My little silkie who is one of my favorites Okay heres the story my rooster is always trying to mate with her and i heard a real soft crow today and she was crowing what is going on i thought she was a girl as my rooster keeps trying to mate with her do hens ever try to mimic roosters with crowing since it is such a soft crow?

2. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Anyone?

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Are you sure it was a crow? There've been reports on here of hens occasionally crowing. I think you should take a pic and upload it on here; it's easier to tell by seeing the bird in question [​IMG]

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Hens can make some funny sounds, don't panic. Yes, roosters try to dominate if not enough hens. BUT, like I said, hens can make some funny sounds. How old is she?

5. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    She is about 5 or six months old i will take a pic and post it here shortly thanks all!

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Until you see your Silkie lay an egg, I would assume it is a he if it crowed. Roosters do mound each other to show dominance. However...

I have had two different hens crow, and I knew for sure they both laid/lay eggs. One did it with some regularity after turning a year old, especially if she found a great place to perch up high like a chair or table. My other hen, who I still have, did it a half dozen times around 7 months old, until I explained to her what happened to the last crazy hen that felt it was necessary to crow. I haven't heard her crow since. Both hens were top of the pecking order.

It freaked me out with the first hen, so I did a bunch a research to find out what was wrong with her. Apparently it can just happen sometimes when there is no rooster to be in charge of flock, and then top hen takes on the role of protector.

7. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I have 3 hens that mount other hens...definitely a dominance/hierarchy thing.

8. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Here she is!![​IMG][​IMG]

9. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I honestly don't know much about silkies, but I remember reading on here about "streamers" being indicators of roos... and it looks like yours might have them.

.... or maybe she got dripped on?

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definite boy, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by