So sad :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyD, Jan 28, 2012.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My 6 month Delaware Rooster must have fallen on the ice in the yard the other day. I got home and he was laying down in the yard and when he got up he was limping really heavily on his left foot. I put him in a space of his own but still inside the coop so he wouldn't stress out from missing the other chickens. It has been about 3 days since I found him and he still isn't really putting any weight on his foot. He is still eating and drinking just fine but is not walking around other than that. I just wish there was something that I could do to make him feel better faster.

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    How does the leg/foot look? Is it sticking out to one side or the other? If so it might be broken.. Do you see any swelling? It could be a sprain.. It is hard to tell with out seeing the birds legs and how he is acting... A pic might help to get you some more answers....

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    As far as I can tell the leg is perfectly straight when he tries to walk on it. The bottom of the foot looks fine and the leg doesn't feel hot at all. I can't really notice any swelling in the leg but he won't put any weight on the leg at all. My entire yard is one big ice patch so if he was trying to go from one place to another and slipped he could have sprained his leg or foot. I will try and get a picture of it tomorrow. It was Wednesday when he hurt it and I put him into a large cage within the coop so that the other birds couldn't bug him at all and he could rest it. He still doesn't seem to want to use it at all but he is standing on it and the toes on the foot look right. When he tries to walk on it he uses his wings to help him balance and puts very little weight on it. I am hoping it is just a sprain and that it will get better but since it has already been 3 days and he doesn't really seem any better I am getting a bit worried.

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    You can give him Baby Asprin for the pain and any swelling that you might not be able to see. It does sound like a sprain, they can be 'off their feet' for a little while.. I have heard of others rigging up a sling to hold the bird up so they don't injure the leg any further. you can research chicken sling here and I am sure you will find out how to do it. The sling just helps to keep stress off I think it is worth looking in to..
    As far as the asprin goes... i'm not sure of the dossage but if you pm dawg53 he can tell you.. there are others here that could also tell you I just don't know them all that well.. Sorry i am not a huge amount of help but I hope I have sugested something usefull for your bird..
    Good Luck,
    Mollie

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok so I was wrong.. I checked and you don't want to give the chicken any pain meds... Not for a leg injury.. However I did find a thread on here that might be of some assistance to you.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/609764/my-chicken-sling Give this a look at.. I think the idea of getting the chicken off its leg for a while is a great idea.. Also Dawg53 has some comments on that thread. Good luck again, keep me posted on how he is doing.
    Mollie

6. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Yeah I don't have him in a sling he is 6 months and pretty large besides. But I do have him in a cage inside the coop and he tends to just sit in the cage. At first he was keeping his foot curled up when he sat now he is opening it up but still hobbling if he moves on it. I haven't been able to take pictures because I injured my knee which makes it harder for me to get around as well. I can honestly say I am feeling his pain lol.

PAchickenlover~I read the website and they said to keep him in a cage and take him out periodically to check and see if he is recovering. So far he still isn't weight bearing but he is still eating and drinking so I don't think it's broken. The other chickens I have had who have been injured badly usually went of their feed because of the pain so I take it as a positive sign that he still is gobbling down his food rather than leaving it.

7. Eggopolis

Eggopolis New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    I hope he gets better for you. Sorry to read of the injury. Wish I could help.

8. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Well it is always a great thing when they don't go off their feed.. I sure hope he pulls through for you.. It is rough when you have a chicken 'down'. Good luck and keeo us posted..

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi LilyD,
    Sorry to hear about your Roo....sheesh, has it been 6 months already?
    Wish I had a suggestion but I really don't. I can only hope for the best for you [​IMG]

10. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    NYRIR ~ Thanks he seemed a bit better today. He was actually trying to stand up and when the other chickens went outside he crowed to try and get them to talk back so he could find them lol. Not going to give up on him unless he starts looking worse. For now he's in his cage and has more than enough treats and food to keep him going. Maybe he is enjoying living like a king hehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by