So scared they won't go back in the hen house

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bridgemoof, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Bridgemoof

Bridgemoof Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Well, 3 nights ago I made a grave error. It was so hot I just thought I'd leave the little hatch door to the hen house open for some air. I don't know why I would think they weren't getting air, they live in a 2-stall stable and there is a chain link gate that closes them in there. Anyways, because of my stupidity, a weasel or some such predator got in there and the next morning my Sicilian Buttercup had her head ripped half off. :-( The rest of the hens were trapped in there to watch the bloody carnage and fend for themselves.

So my problem is now the hens won't go back into their hen house at night to roost! They are all over the farm when it gets dark, on the stall doors, in the stables, on the haystack, fences, even roosting atop the horses and our donkey! Each night, my BF and I have had to carry them back there one by one. Their food bowls are in the hen house, and they go in a little bit during the day, but at night they just don't want to go.

So, any tricks for getting my hens to want to go back into their house? Also, the temps have been so high here, 100 degrees today, so I don't want to keep them cooped up in there all day.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Bridget

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    No clue other than feed them treats in the coop? cold watermelon on the rind, sunflower seeds, frozen grapes, etc.... do it every night when you put them back in and maybe they'll think of the coop as a fun place to get treats instead of a scary place.

3. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    It is HOT!!!! Maybe a fan too-I read on here where some had a fan inthe coop and they would literally stand in front if it to stay cool--I put one in my coop today and they were all on their roosts this evening enjoying it blowing on them. I also had a coon in there tonight -no casualties and they weren't even raising a ruckus. he is gone and I got them closed up!!!
    agh, scared me to death to think of what might have been.....like the other person posted-treats are always a good thing to bring them back in....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by