1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

So, she's in Chicken Jail!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchicksnducks, Aug 20, 2010.

1. First, a little background...My main flock of 12 have been together since peeps, and are now a little over a year old. In May, I added 3 day old girls. The babies have been housed in the coop since they were a month old in a hardware cloth divided area of about 2'x5' in dimension.

About a week or so ago, I noticed one of my Wyandottes limping. I discovered she had somehow losted a toenail from one of her feet! It has healed well, but 3 days ago while she was free ranging I wen to pet her and she did not do her usual squat. Once my hand approached her face, she panicked and moved away from the hand...and ran into my leg. This happened twice, when I then "tested" her and determined she could not see out of her right eye (same side as the injured toe). There is no sign of injury to her eye (pecking, etc) and it is not blue or "cataract" looking. She still got around okay eating grass, etc, and made it back fine to the coop, although her position with her right side against the outside wall of the coop while on the roost makes more sense now. The next morning I discovered her comb had been picked on through the night and some dried blood was on it. I monitered the flock off/on during the day and found my BO attacking her in the run. I broke up the attack, only to have the BO go after her again within 5 minutes of the first attack.

My coop 8x8...enough room for all the girls when able to move about, but not enough to keep the mini-coop for the babies as well as a "jail" section for the BO...I've had to move my 2 Wellsummers and 1 EE out with the "big" girls (They're 14 weeks old...have been doing great with the older ones - yeah!) and I put my dominate BO in the mini-coop as a jail/time out. How long should she be kept away from the others? It's been 2 days now...is a week the average time to re-align the heirarchy? More time-less time? The remaining flock has been doing well, and my poor 1/2 blind, 3 toed hen has been doing well with no new injuries.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I think a week or two will work. Your BO needs to be knocked down off the top of the pecking order. When you put the BO back with the others, monitor her closely. If she does the same thing...back to chicken jail, only this time make it a month and not in visual sight of the others. When you reintroduce her, Your BO will definitely be the "new" hen and will be at the bottom of the pecking order. Edited: You might need to expand your coop...that also could be an issue. Good luck!

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Embarass her in front of the flock right before you put her back in hold her by her legs and let her flap flap flap all she wants it will tease her enough to humble down a bit are you shure its not secretly a...... [​IMG] ROOSTER "gasps" good luck to your flock of... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] three babies.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] eleven hens AND.... [​IMG] one trouble maker LOL Best wishes to your hen and chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by