SO sick of buying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nigellas, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm getting SO sick of buying eggs. Pretty much all summer I've been averaging 1 (maybe 2 eggs very rarely) a day with 6 hens.

I have 2 bantam cochins, that I don't expect anything from, so I probably shouldn't even count them. Then I also have 2 Javas who are constantly broody. Seriously. All.The.Time. I gave them both sets of babies over the summer trying to hurry up their non-laying process and hey both wen broody again within a week of giving up their babies. Gah. Still broody, and it's nearly November.

I have an Easter Egger who layed great for about 2 months, then stopped in the summer when she went from being #2 in the flock to the bottom girl. It's been months since I got anything from her. (I know now it's autumn slow down time now, but she's been off laying since July)

The only hen I have that lays regularly is my Black Sex Link.

Most of my hens are 8 months-ish, the Javas are 1 1/2.

Do I just have the wrong breeds? I'm getting 100% sick of buying eggs- it's kind of ridiculous, you know?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    What do you feed them. Laying feed.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Are they getting enough light? I had to put lights in a couple weeks ago. They come on around 6pm when it starts getting dark and stay on a couple hours.

4. Nigellas

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yup, they get layer feed, I don't do lights, but this has been going on all summer, so it's not a light issue, I don't think...
    [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    could they be hiding them somewhere?

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That's bad. I feel like I buy eggs anyway. The layer feed, coop, and all the rest of the stuff. But I do get about 3 dozen eggs a week. Way more than we can eat. So I give um away to friends in the neighborhood. My best layers would be the GLW and the EE. Steady.

7. Nigellas

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I wondered that about the EEer, but it's a pretty small yard and I can't find anything.
    [​IMG]

8. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Try keeping them confined for a few days. Then the hiding will be decided... Do you ever see shell fragments, or yolk remnants around? I got a few egg-eaters in my bunch.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is it possible something in their coop is bothering them? I had a serious decrease in egg production when it first started to get warm. I though I had egg eater and was ready to let some chicken heads roll. As it turns out, I did have an egg eater, but it wasn't my chickens. It was a huge black snake. When I finally caught the sucker, I was checking for new eggs under my broody. The snake was curled up under her eating her eggs (yes, I reached under the broody and grabbed the snake [​IMG] ). So, is it possible you have a snake, or mice or rats? Good luck!

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I wrote this column as an educational piece and one that, hopefully, encourages people. Give it a read.
    It is entitled, How Many Eggs Will My Hens Really Lay?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=586719

In that column, you will read that we essentially keep two flocks. One lays OK, but it is more the heritage oriented, eye candy portion of the flock. The other portion of the flock is the production side. I unapologetically keep Black Sex Links, ISA Browns, Bovans and other 300 egg per year birds for a small business selling eggs.

You asked, "Do I just have the wrong breeds". Yes and no. I'd encourage you to read the above.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by